Alex Lam is a Senior Associate in our Property Services team.
Before migrating to Australia in 1997, Alex practised in Hong Kong for 16 years where he was a partner of a legal practice and acted for prominent property developers and the Hong Kong Government on housing projects. Alex also advised private corporations on syndicated funding for infrastructure projects throughout China.
His career in Australia has seen him advising investors, developers, bodies corporate and industry superannuation funds on various commercial and residential property matters. His current practice also includes acting for small and medium-sized business on leasing, property and commercial law matters.
Alex is fluent in both Mandarin and Cantonese dialects of the Chinese language and reads and writes traditional and simplified Chinese characters.
Alex’s extensive experience includes:
- Property Law, Commercial and Retail Leasing
- Planning appeals
- Sale and purchase of commercial and residential properties
- Off-the-plan projects, including disclosure documents and contract of sale
- Titling of Property Projects
- Commercial Agreements
- Business Sales and Acquisitions – due diligence and advice
- Setting up and advising of Retirement Village and Retirement Accommodation for ethnical communities – Finnish and Chinese at Thornlands and Parkinson
- Part of the due diligence team undertaking due diligence on leases in the acquisition of a substantial shopping centre at Mt Gravatt
- Undertaking acquisition of shopping arcades at Zillmere, Banyo and Sunnybank areas
- Sale of mid-size shopping arcade at Coorparoo area (2016)
- Sale of a substantive commercial building in Brisbane CBD (2016)
- Negotiation and acquisition of residential land for subdivision and development. Over 20,000m2 at Calamvale area and over 400,000ms at Park Ridge
- Successful application of Development Approval for 118 lots/units development at Calamvale
- Off-the-plan projects at Woolloongabba and Mt Gravatt (2017)
- Acting for overseas purchasers in off-the-plan projects at Toowong and Milton from contract to settlement (2016 – 2018)
Master of Laws (IP, IT & Biotechnology Law), Queensland University of Technology
Legal Profession Qualifying Diploma, United Kingdom
Solicitor, Supreme Court of Queensland, New South Wales and ACT
Barrister, High Court of Australia (1988)
Solicitor, Supreme Court of England and Wales (1982)
Solicitor, Supreme Court of Hong Kong (1982)