Michael has many years’ experience as a Brisbane lawyer. Admitted as a solicitor in 1982, Michael has a commercial-based practice in property law, commercial transactions and body corporate and community title law. Michael has been a regular presenter for professional development seminars across a range of subjects in his area of expertise.
Michael is also a part-time lecturer for the College of Law (Master of Applied Law), including commercial leasing and community title law.
Michael has extensive experience in the following areas:
- Community Title (strata and volumetric titling)
- Projects – planning, off the plan contracts, disclosure statements, advice on Body Corporate and Community Management Act (Qld) and related legislation, new community management statements, caretaking and letting agreements and related matters
- Acquisition and disposals – contracts, strategic advice, contractual and regulatory issues, negotiations, due diligence, land transfers and all aspects of conveyancing
- Advocacy – dispute management, representation and resolution in retail lease, property and body corporate disputes
- Commercial, industrial and retail leasing – commercial leases, high volume retail leases, sub-leases, agreements for lease, development leases, advertising signs and billboards, variations, surrenders and assignments of lease, storage and car parking licences; disputes and dispute resolution
- Developments – planning and development approvals, licences and land use regulation, easements, development deeds, project delivery agreements, titling, subdivisions and strata conversions and lease agreements, infrastructure and development conditions
- Due diligence – investigations, analysis and reports
- Financing – investment and development (commercial, residential, industrial and mixed use), mergers and acquisitions and syndicates
- Joint Ventures – commercial and property based joint venture agreements, structuring, financing, shareholder agreements and consultancy agreements
- Planning and Environment – advice including planning appeals, development applications and assessments, development conditions, negotiated decisions, mediation proceedings and advice on planning and environment legislation
- Revenue – transfer duty and GST
- Trusts – structuring and trust establishment, including unit and discretionary trusts and unitholder agreements
Bachelor of Laws, University of Queensland
Master of Laws, University of Queensland
Solicitor, Supreme Court Queensland (1982)
In the Community
Michael is Director of Chain Reaction Challenge Foundation and Chair of the Queensland Organising Committee for Chain Reaction, a 7 day charity event for corporates and executives raising significant funds for seriously ill children and support for their families.