Mark established the Firm of Hogan Besley Boyd in 1994, with the primary aim of building a quality based, advisory style legal firm. Previously, he had operated as a partner in a substantial Brisbane based legal firm and as a Director of the company, Corporate Advisory Services Australia Pty Ltd.
During a period in excess of 25 years of legal practice, Mark has been principally engaged in the following areas:
- Corporate Advisory (including Business Structuring; Mergers and Acquisitions.
- Revenue, particularly Queensland Stamp Duty.
- Intellectual Property, including Australian and International Franchise Systems.
- Company Secretarial and Corporate Statutory Compliance.
- Commercial and Retail Leasing.
- Not for Profit entities, including Industry Associations and charitable bodies.
With a strong background in most relevant areas of corporate law, Mark has worked at solving problems and developing suitable strategies for his business clients.
Recent major projects
Although much of Mark’s work is confidential in nature, he has been engaged over a long period in the following style of matters:
- Engaging in the formation of joint venture vehicles for a variety of business sectors, particularly in the area of property amalgamation and development.
- Assisting with a number of management buy-out programs (as evidenced by a recent example where Brisbane based management acquired and de-listed a related public company employer, with the assistance of a significant Private Equity group).
- Obtaining corporate reconstruction stamp duty relief in complex business acquisition or reorganisation programs.
- Assisting with the establishment and commercialisation of intellectual property for use in franchise programs.
- Assisting a number of companies to identify and establish franchise and/or distribution businesses in Australia, America, Asia and the Middle East.
- Establishing charitable institutions and obtaining required tax status for the operation of those entities.
- Assisting with preparation of submissions to Government, particularly in the retail leasing and franchising sectors.
Bachelor of Laws, University of Queensland
Solicitor, Supreme Court Queensland (1979)
Rugby Union (active referee and administrator).
General sports participation (golf, cricket, touch football).
Wine appreciation (member of various clubs, including the Committee of Tattersalls’ Wine Club).