Jamie has over 25 years’ experience in all aspects of employment and work health & safety law and has worked extensively WA, NSW and Qld.Jamie’s practice focuses on:
- Recruitment processes, workforce structuring, performance management, downsizing and termination of employment.
- Employment contracts, contractor and labour hire agreements and workplace policies.
- Enterprise agreement structuring and negotiation.
- Industrial instrument (award and enterprise agreement) compliance and defending industrial instrument breach claims.
- Workplace investigations.
- Defending discrimination, harassment, bullying, workplace behaviour, adverse action (general protection) and unfair dismissal claims.
- Social media and the impact of technology on the workplace.
- Developing strategies to improve WH&S performance.
- Managing all forms of workplace related injury and disease (including mental illness).
- Defending work health and safety breach allegations in the Coroners Court and the relevant common law courts.
Jamie regularly conducts employment law, workplace behaviour and work health and safety training sessions for leading Australian businesses, and is a sought after speaker for significant external conferences across a broad range of employee relations and safety topics.
Jamie has been:
- Listed in the Employment category of the Legal 500 Asia Pacific for 2014;
- Listed by Doyle’s Guide to the Australian Legal Profession as a recommended leading Queensland Employment lawyer in 2015, 2017 and 2018 and Safety Lawyer in 2017-2018;
- Named in Best Lawyers® as one of Australia’s best lawyers in the field of Employee Benefits Law in 2017 – 2018; and
- Named in Best Lawyers® as one of Australia’s best lawyers in the field of Occupational Health & Safety Law in 2015 – 2018.
Major Recent Achievements
- Providing strategic advice to an ASX 100 bank on all aspects of its 2015 enterprise agreement negotiations resulting in the successful completion of the agreement with increased productivity and flexibility.
- Successful defence on behalf of an ASX 100 company and four of its managers of one of the first fully defended anti bullying matters in the Fair Work Commission with 38 separate allegations of bullying successfully defended.
- Strategic advice and representation for a major manufacturing entity relating to its enterprise agreement negotiations including defence of applications for good faith bargaining and scope orders resulting in the removal of significant pay loadings for maintenance staff (approximately 30%).
- Advising an ASX 100 entity on restructuring of its senior management team including the recruitment of a number of new senior executives and termination or redundancy of 5 key senior executives without adverse publicity. The advice included all aspects of the restructure including compliance with the relevant capping provisions in the Corporations Act 2001.
- Defending a number of significant employers (including in the mining, construction and food services industries) in coronial inquests and prosecutions arising from the death or serious injury of employees. Jamie has successfully defended a number of Work health & safety prosecutions in various jurisdictions.
Qualifications and Memberships
Bachelor of Laws, University of Western Australia (1991)
Bachelor of Commerce, University of Western Australia (1994)
Solicitor, High Court of Australia (1992), Supreme Court Queensland (2007), New South Wales (1996) and Western Australia (1992)
Australian Human Resources Institute (Certified Professional)
Law Society of Queensland
Industrial Relations Society of Queensland
Jamie is regularly found around the country playing bagpipes, is a Member of St Andrew’s Pipe Band and the Vice Chairman of The Australian Pipe Band Association (Qld Branch).
Jamie is also an avid sports follower, particularly AFL, Rugby and Formula 1