Darren practises in the property industry with particular expertise in major acquisitions, disposals, leasing, structured property development and property finance arrangements. His practice concentrates on:
- Large scale property transactions – acquisitions/disposals/finance.
- Commercial and retail leasing.
- Plain English drafting of property documentation.
- Due diligence for acquisitions, disposals and finance transactions.
- Structured community title development.
- Land valuation disputes.
Recent major projects
Acted on behalf of the landlord in relation to a major lease of a commercial CBD building to the Department of Immigration (Area>10,000m2 ).
Acted on behalf of the developer in the lease up of Santos Place, a 36 level commercial office tower in Brisbane CBD with a NLA of 34,000+m2.
Acted on behalf of the developer in relation to one of the largest property transactions in Australia in 2010, being the sale of Santos Place to Malaysia’s largest fund manager. ($280+ million). This involved:
- the establishment and maintenance of a ‘virtual’ due diligence room;
- negotiating access to documents to permit potential purchasers and their advisors access to the due diligence room; and
- negotiating and finalising extensive contract documentation.
Acted for the seller in the disposal of one of the largest sheep stations in Australia, a 500,000 hectare plus holding in south west Queensland.
Providing structuring advice and review of finance documentation for the funding of a property investment portfolio (>$50million).
Other major Commercial/Rural Acquisitions/Disposals
Acted in relation to the acquisition/disposal of retail/commercial/rural investment properties:
- 300 Ann Street, Brisbane.
- 46 Charlotte Street, Brisbane.
- 1 Cavill Avenue, Surfers Paradise.
- The Mathers Centre, Queen Street, Brisbane.
- 127 Creek Street, Brisbane.
- 355 Queen Street, Brisbane.
- Mt Sheridan Plaza, Cairns.
- Taringa Central
Acted on behalf of the developer in relation to the development and strata title of the following developments:
- Mon Terre Ridge Estate (flat land development Sunshine Coast).
- The Hub Apartments (Fortitude Valley).
- South Central (South Brisbane).
- The Capitol Apartments (South Brisbane).
- Admiralty Towers (Brisbane CBD).
- Rothbury on Ann (Brisbane CBD – Heritage listed).
- Royal Albert (Brisbane CBD – Heritage listed).
- Royal Harbour (Nite Markets and All Suites Strata Hotel) (Cairns).
- Manor Apartments (Newspaper House) (Brisbane CBD – Heritage listed).
Bachelor of commerce and Bachelor of Laws (Second Class Honours), University of Queensland
Solicitor, Supreme Court Queensland (1988)
Rugby, Cricket, Horse Racing and Breeding